ラィブ!

After missing them twice, I finally saw my favorite Japanese band live! POLYSICS was awesome. They are a synthpunk/new-ravey band that I have listened to for years before coming to Japan. Their main thing is that they are inspired by the philosophy of Devo. Let me repeat that. The Philosophy Devo. Not the music. The philosophy.

They played with another band called "Ogre You Asshole" and an openning act that was so loud as to be unenjoyable and thus not worth mentioning here. it's too bad because I felt like I might have liked them if my ears weren't bleeding.

The venue was Fukuoka Beat Station, which is a small grey box under the train tracks. The crowd was great and very adept at moshing, which is apparently a rarity in Japan. I am now covered in the sweaty juices of many others, and most pleased with my evening.


NB: This is exactly how elementary school students actually look. Except they mostly dont do the robot. Mostly.


Extra points in this video for using stereoscopic video. On a related note, I made a stereoscopic photo using an old panoramic of the Black Dessert I took in Egypt a couple years ago.

The singer's voice in Ogre is really that high. When he speaks to the audience he tries to make it sound lower, but you can tell he really lets it go and is natural and happy when he's singing :D

And the guitar/eukelele player is so badass with his knowing glances and long hair.

Good find.
_____________________________
3-24-09 EDIT: I am sore and my ears are still ringing 24 hours later. Signs of a good concert experience. As well as oncoming deafness.

0 comments: