「バッ〜ン’」していいよ

Last Friday I met up with an old teacher from my school. He had been working here for over 10 years already by the time I rocked up at the school, but he was transferred the following spring for a stint at the bureaucratic "Education Center" for purported self-study and training.

Though he was not an English teacher, he had an interest in international culture and always made an effort to make small talk with me in English. Not the boring thoughtless small talk that people usually make either, such as "So do you like Japanese food?" "Cold today isn't it!," etc.) ...No! he'd ask me interesting questions and treat me like a peer, so we became casual office friends.

Anyway, he still lives in my town, so the other day he took me out for dinner at a great local Yakitori shop and then we hit up a local Snack Bar, where he has been a regular for 16 years. Apparently he has a bit of a crush on the hostess who was young, as was he, when they met in his single days. He would often go there on weeknights, pass out and spend the night, heading to work in the morning. He says that the students used to make fun of him for having whiskey on his breath. But to see the gentleman today you'd never know it.

At any rate, the man whom I happened to pull up a stool next to at the Snack Bar happened to be the father of one of my students. To be specific, he was the dad of the loudest kid in my loudest (40 boys!) class. This guy was good people and we more or less had the following conversation:


"Hey, you know if my kid is being a dumbass in class, feel free to just whack him upside the head"

"Hahaha! Ok got it! But seriously though, no i wouldn't dream of it!"

"No seriously, it's cool!"

"Awright, awright."

{20 or 30 minutes later}

"Hey you know... if my kid is being a dumbass in class, feel free to just WHACK him upside the head."

"Hahaha, okay okay, but i wouldn't dream of it! Really!"


The kid is really clever as hell, just rowdy. In fact he is the pupil mentioned in the PAIZUREE post.

Later he called his kid up on his cellphone and forced him to talk to me. The poor boy seemed kindve confused, and not all too pleased. But a funny night nonetheless.

1 comments:

Rob Pugh said...

A good pop on the head always works for me... IF you already have a decent relationship with the kids in your school...